February marks the celebration of Black History Month, a time to recognize and honor the rich cultural heritage and contributions of African Americans throughout history. Here are some of the Black History Month events happening in Northern Colorado this year.
Thurgood at the Lincoln Center
- When: February 23 through February 25, 2023
- What: “Bringing the best of Black Theater to Northern Colorado”: In.Living.Colored presents THURGOOD featuring Michael Anthony Tatmon as Thurgood Marshall. The first Black American Supreme Court Justice and one of the greatest Civil Rights lawyers in history. Directed by Internationally Acclaimed Director Dr. Prodan Dimov.
Black History Live! at Front Range Community College (FRCC)
- When: February 15, 2023 at the FRCC Long’s Peak Student Center
- What: In this performance, actor and scholar Becky Stone portrays Josephine Baker, African American singer, dancer, comedian, and actress
Colorado State University (CSU) 2023 Events
- What: CSU has a variety of events happening throughout the month. Some events may be limited to faculty and staff.
City of Fort Collins Virtual Tour and Black History in Fort Collins
- What: The City has a webpage dedicated to Black/African American History in Fort Collins. The page has a link to a tour of places you can visit around the city and learn more about how Black history has shaped Northern Colorado.
Black History Month Teen Art Contest at the Loveland Public Library
- What: Young people ages 11 through 17 (or grades 6 through 12) are invited to participate in a poster redesign contest.
Black Heritage Month events at the University of Northern Colorado (UNC)
- What: Participate in a variety of events. Dates and locations vary with some events going on all month long.
Black History Month 2023 in Denver
- What: If you are willing to travel a bit further. This list of events starts in February and helps remind us that Black History is more than a month by providing events taking place throughout the year.
If you can’t make it to a local event, consider reading this blog from the Poudre Library about some of the Black people who have helped to shape the culture and history of Northern Colorado. Join your community in recognizing and celebrating the achievements and contributions of African Americans in the United States.
Follow The Family Center – La Familia on our social media channels – Facebook and Instagram, including Pinterest, where we curate helpful resources and events for parents and early childhood educators in Northern Colorado.